Get to Know Christopher MacLellan
Christopher MacLellan "The Bow Tie Guy"
The story of Chris MacLellan and his partner, Richard Schiffer was chronicled in a 2015 Pulitzer Prize nominated 3-part story “In Sickness and In Health: A Couple’s Final Journey” which told their journey of caregiving. The story told of the challenges that LGBT partners have in dealing with the medical and legal system, but it also told of the love and joy that Richard’s last years had on their relationship.
- In Sickness and in Health: A Couple's Final Journey
- Life After Death: A Couples Story Sparks Change
- Saying Goodbye: Navigating the Change of Moving On
It is through story sharing where diversity meets the road to collaborate on a common cause and Chris' common cause is to support caregivers, before, during and after caregiving ends.
Watch the video of our story at the bottom of this page
Book: What’s the Deal with Caregiving?
Out of Chris' personal Caregiving experience, Chris has written a powerful and compelling book, that informs caregivers about how to deal with the challenges they will encounter, regardless of sexual orientation, family situation or age.
Read the reviews and purchase the book on AMAZON.
Caregivng, Stress and its Impact in the Work Place
Chris’ Master’s Degree thesis entitled, “Spiral of Silence: Caregiving, Stress and its Impact in the Workplace” was accepted by the faculty at Gonzaga University, where Chris earned a Master’s degree in Leadership and Communication in 2016. Chris presents frequently on topics that impact family caregivers and their loved ones.
With an educational and professional background in Social Work and Theology and as a former family caregiver, Chris now views the issues family caregivers and their employers face through the lens of Leadership and Commuication.
Chris’ passion centers around advocacy, sharing stories and connecting people to trusted resources. Chris is proponent of a holistic approach to good health and spirituality. Down to earth and pragmatic, Chris works within a consensus style framework, while building bridges instead of roadblocks.
Christopher MacLellan: Did you Know?
- Born and raised in St. Louis, MO, has five older siblings, 25 nieces and nephews and over 40 great nieces and nephews
- Three regional Professional Bowlers Associations championships and 13, 300 games
- An avid hockey fan of the St. Louis Blues since 1967!
- He’s The Bow Tie Guy: wearing a bow-tie is like wearing having two smiles
- Subject of the 2015 Pulitzer Prize finalist, three-part caregiving story, “In Sickness and In Health: A Couple’s Final Journey” written by Diane Lade and Carline Jean of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel
- Elected to the St. Louis United States Bowling Congress Hall-of-Fame in 2020
- Founder of the Whole Care Network
- Created of the popular The Purple Jacket Blog about the journey of caregiving
- Created Healing Ties Podcast featured on multiple podcast platforms and in the United Kingdom on UK Health Radio.
- Creator of the popular "The Bow Tie Guy" brand
- Published Author
- Public Speaker
- The South Florida Sun-Sentinel > “In Sickness and in Health: A Couple’s Final Journey” (Nominated for a Pulitzer Prize; read by over 500,000 people world-wide)
- PBS South Florida WEXL TV Caregiving Show by “Debra”
- The Palm Beach Post
- The Florida Times Union
- The Wall Street Journal
- “What’s the Deal with Caregiving”
- M.A. Thesis: Spiral of Silence: Caregiving, Stress and Its Impact in the Workplace”
- CareGifters Book Series
- American Society on Aging: “Two Relationships in One”
- Age Safe America
- Keeping Us Safe
- Educator Broward County Elderly and Veterans Services